People with severe mental health conditions and those needing access to IVF and treatment for cancer are among the thousands of patients better off from today as a result of Labor’s success in blocking the Turnbull Government’s unfair cuts to the Medicare Safety Nets.
The Medicare Safety Nets were introduced in recognition that some patients need greater access to medical services, especially vulnerable groups like those with serious and costly medical issues.
Unfortunately, the Mid Year Review confirmed the Turnbull Government remains committed to its plans to rip $267 million out of the Medicare Safety Nets, despite damning evidence.
- The Royal Australian College of General Practitioners warned of “significant concerns that the proposed changes will leave all patients with greater out-of-pocket costs".
- The Private Mental Health Consumer Carer Network warned the changes could have a dangerous impact on sex abuse victims. "This might have serious associated risks to their lives and might severely interfere with their real chance of recovery.”
- The Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists told the inquiry the College is: “… very concerned about the impact that the proposed new Medicare Safety Net will have on vulnerable people with mental illness who require long-term intensive psychotherapy".
- Radiation and oncology providers warned the changes proposed by the Turnbull Government will, “on average more than double patient out-of-pocket costs for radiotherapy”.
- The Department of Health admitted that “based on the current arrangements certainly for assisted reproductive technology our analysis says that the second and further cycles may leave a patient around $850 out of pocket.”
Today also marks one year that millions of Australians have been saved from paying up to $5 extra for their essential medicines by Labor’s rejection of the Turnbull Government’s PBS price hike.
But once again, the Liberals remain determined to slug patients with the Mid Year Budget Review confirming that as long as the Turnbull Government remains in office, it will seize any opportunity to hit patients.
Labor created Medicare and only a Labor Government can protect Medicare. Only Labor will ensure Australians are safe from Malcolm Turnbull’s attacks on Medicare.